About Me

My photo
I am a Christian, always reading, always wanting to improve my relationship with Christ, my family and my friends. I love the outdoors, animals and nature. I have started homeschooling this year and learn new things each day. This blog is a place for me to write out my thoughts, to express my joys, loves, my hopes, frustrations, disappointments, thing I read, things I am learning... I am writing about my life... a little of this and that...

17 May 2012

Chicken Pen

This is our chicken pen.  I got online and looked up a bunch of different designs and drew out a chicken house from all my favorite parts of the others.  We are working on painting it red with white  trim today.  It is looking so good!

This is the view from the yard.  You can see how big the chicken pen is. We wanted to give the chickens lots of room to run around and scratch.  The original plan was to get 3, maybe 4. But we have 9 at the moment.  I am thinking about getting another 8 chicks to raise to eventually put in the freezer…   

DSC_0174

This view shows the house a little better.  There is a 2x8 board against the house but it is not part of it… Jon made the house 5 1/2 feet tall so I can stand up straight inside.  It makes it so much easier to clean it out.

DSC_0175

This shows the nesting boxes.  I like this part because I can just lift the lid and grab the eggs and not have to actually go into the house.

DSC_0176

DSC_0195DSC_0196

This is the inside of the house. There are 6 nesting boxes, but the hens seem to like to share just 2 of them.  There is also laminate tiles on the floor to make it easier to clean out.

DSC_0178

Roosting bars in the corner.  Jon made them out of Cedar branches. I put hay on the floor to help with cleaning out the chicken poop.

DSC_0179

A view of the front of the chicken house.  We put “Cape Cod” style windows on the house, to let a breeze in, the hot air out but also keep the rain out as well.  Lily says the house has a face.  Can you see it, too?  :)

DSC_0192

DSC_0182

DSC_0183

Lily loves to feed the chicks.  They are about 5 months old.  We currently have 2 RI Reds, 1 Barred Rock, 2 Silkies, 2 Americaunas and 2 Easter Eggers. 

DSC_0184

DSC_0186

The Silkies are super sweet.

DSC_0187

DSC_0188

DSC_0189

I am TERRIFIED of snakes!!  Seriously!!!  So Jon and I decided to put hardware cloth around the bottom 3 feet of the pen, then the chicken wire higher up.  I have it zip tied together.  I also didn’t want raccoons, or opossums to get in the pen, so we made it about 7-8 feet tall. I hope it helps.  :)

DSC_0193

 

While I was outside, I thought I would share our garden for this year.  We added 2 new beds and a couple potato cages to the garden… and a FENCE!! YAY!! :)  I cannot wait to paint it white!!  so pretty!!!

 

These are our tomato “trees”… the two short ones on the left are the cherry tomato plants.  They are Lilys.  She checks the garden and then eats all the cherry tomatoes.

DSC_0197

DSC_0200

This is our potato cage.  It is new for me, I have never grown potatoes like this.  But it looks like it is doing pretty good!!

DSC_0198

Lettuce bed- We have spinach, Iceberg and Romaine lettuce

DSC_0199

And this is my fence!  Part of my birthday present/mothers day present.  We got the pickets off freecycle and are using 2x4s left over from other projects…  Once completed it will keep the dogs out of the beds!!  YAY!

DSC_0201

And you cant have spring without a litter of kittens…  AWE!!!

DSC_0202

 

~ Kristina

1 comment:

  1. Well, you weren't kidding when you said ya'll have been busy.

    you have!

    That chicken coop is one clever idea to avoid those snakes.

    Your garden is growing good and I'm so interested in that potatoe cage!

    ReplyDelete