We had our first day of school today. First thing this morning, after breakfast, we went to the Institute to “exercise”. I enjoy running (and am really out of shape right now), so we took Lily’s tricycle and I ran a few laps while she biked…
We are studying the letter A this week. So we did an Ant Study… 5 different types of food on a plate
1) peppermint
2) lettuce
3) gum
4) Apple
5) crackers
Lily thought the ants would be healthy ants, so we decided to see what they would like to eat.
We placed the plate under a tree where there was a HUGE ant hill. We waited a little while, Lily wanted to see them eat. I convinced her to go inside and we would come back out in about 30 minutes to see what was eaten… well, when we got back out side the cats or dogs, not sure which one, had eaten everything… go figure!! :)
This is her first Letter A work sheet. I have some that are like this that will help her with writing and some that are just the block letters. I hope to use those for art projects. I also have a “make your own book” out of dinosaurs, each letter has a dinosaur. She is really into them right now. She loves to watch Dinosaur Train on PBS.![]()
Our next project/assignment was to color a picture frame for her school photo. $2.00 from Hobby Lobby, not a bad deal, so she colored it, then we went outside for her photo. It only took 20+ frames to get her to smile pretty.
I have a lot of goofy looking faces, but I just LOVE this smile!!!
She wanted this photo in the frame… still a pretty good smile!
This is a photo of our September schedule. It looks BUSY, but it really isn’t. I have 3-4 things a day to work on, reading, art, music, cooking, science, play… lots of fun things I hope she will enjoy doing as well as learn from while doing them…
And these are the two books that I am using mostly right now. I am LOVING the Backyard Discoveries book. It has hundreds of games, art, science, math, you name it, it has it all in our back yard!!! Awesome!! Then the Complete Early Childhood Curriculum Resource has suggestions for each subject, charts and forms for “monitoring” their progress, for documenting what all they need to learn, are learning and have learned. It goes month by month giving holiday suggestions and such, more structured but full of great information…
So this is our first day of school. I think it went smoothly. Tomorrow we have Story Time at the Library, always fun, and more of the letter A!! Hope you all are doing well!!
~ Kristina

Great Post Kristina!
ReplyDeleteThis is the sort of post that folks can be inspired from. Lily is getting a rich education with the time you are spending with her. God is smiling upon you for taking the time to teach her at home!
Great Job Girl!!!!!!