About Me

My photo
I am a Christian, always reading, always wanting to improve my relationship with Christ, my family and my friends. I love the outdoors, animals and nature. I have started homeschooling this year and learn new things each day. This blog is a place for me to write out my thoughts, to express my joys, loves, my hopes, frustrations, disappointments, thing I read, things I am learning... I am writing about my life... a little of this and that...

10 September 2010

Not what I expected

The end of my first week homeschooling... it didn’t go like I was expecting. 

      Tuesday went like I thought it would.  We did some work book pages, read books, played outside, practiced writing... 

      Then Wednesday came along- Library half the day, then 2 1/2 hour naps for both of us, an afternoon of laundry then church in the evening.  No work was accomplished. 

     Thursday was suppose to be school in the morning then to the lake to swim with the home school group.  First time meeting up with them...  then finish up work in the afternoon... well, we didn't do any work in the morning, late to get to the lake, stayed longer than I wanted, met a few moms but not much interaction, home to get supper started then off to bed. 

      Today we went to Columbus to pick up Kasey’s wedding dress.  Poor girl!  This is the second time she has gone to get her dress and both times it isn’t ready, needing a little more of this, a little more of that... 

So all this to say-  We didn’t do half of what I wanted to get done this week.  The acorn art supplies are still sitting on the shelf waiting to be used...  I may do it next week, just because...

     I am fairly flexible.  I like some structure, and being able to change up our routine is what I am looking forward to most about teaching Lily at home.  Are you still able to teach amidst all the running around?  How??  I know there are ways to incorporate everyday activities into learning… But is it normal to have weeks like this, where not much gets done?? 

How do you ladies do this??  I haven’t done any house work, I need to vacuum horribly!!  The dished need to be put away, laundry finished, folded and put away... 

     How to you find balance between being a teacher/mom/wife/homemaker???  How do you find the time to do it all???  Is there a secret schedule I need to find?  A book I need to buy?? 

     Hopefully next week will go better.  Nothing planned, as far as outing (other than our Wednesday trip to the Library), so maybe all our "B" activities will get done.

Have a great weekend.  We are off to the Circus... (even though right now I feel like I  am the circus!!)

5 comments:

  1. Even after five years of homeschooling, I still struggle to balance it all. That was why I tried to get things in order this summer before school started. And yes, it is hard to get school work done sometimes when life happens. I try to keep us home as much as I can ( but sometimes you have to do stuff) and I build Fridays in as days to catch up on any school work that we need to do. Basically, I schedule Mon - Thurs as school work days and Fridays are for testing, correcting work, and catching up. And if I have to move a lesson to the next week, then I roll it over. (I always plan in pencil so I can change as needed.) Homeschooling has helped me a lot in the "learning to be flexible" category. Also, I try to finish by lunch on Friday so I can get the house back in order. However, that didn't work today because the allergy meds put me on the couch for a nap. :) I hope you have a great weekend, Kristina!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Adriane... I think I will follow your example and save Fridays as a "back up" day. We dont have testing yet, but I like the idea of having a catch up day.

    I hope you get feeling better, soon... Allergies are NO fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try to have the house tidied before we start school (beds made, breakfast cleaned up, a load of laundry in or dishwasher running). We do school up to lunch (in second grade now). After lunch and play, finish up any loose ends and then run errands. I try to vacuum before dinner and have the house orderly before my man gets home.

    We started homeschooling w/ preschool when my oldest was 4 (using Mother Goose materials). Then when she turned 5 (but not yet eligible for K), I used Get Ready for the Code to teach phonics/reading.

    I love the flexibility of homeschooling. Those earlier years, Fridays are great for catch-up, but in second grade, I teach on Fridays as well because the routine works best here. We also became part of a K-12 co-op that meets 2x a week when we enrolled in K.

    Good luck to you! It is tricky finding the balance and groove to the routine. Once you find something that works for you, though, it gets much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will fall into a routine in no time! these girls have got it right!

    I like what Adriane said...
    she stays home as much as she can. This is a HUGE thing for me. In more than one way.
    first, I don't spend as much, and second it gives me more time to commit to my home.

    I like what Courtney said...
    she tries to get it all done before her man gets home. This is important in more ways than one.

    You know what Kristina, this sounds like a good blog post. When you get into that groove {which you will soon} blog about it for us!

    {{{hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristina,

    The ladies here have given you some great advise. Yes, we all have weeks like that when things don't go as planned. (So far our school year has been that way here too.)

    Like Courtney, I like to get the basics done every morning then dive right into school.

    Being home helps in so many ways but there are times when you must go and even times when you want to go. Don't be a slave to a schedule. I think we miss out on real life learning when we try too hard to "cover" everything in a curriculum. On the other hand we do have to make our home and homeschool a priority. You will find a balance. Of course things change every year so each year you will need to adjust.

    ReplyDelete