About Me

My photo
I am a Christian, always reading, always wanting to improve my relationship with Christ, my family and my friends. I love the outdoors, animals and nature. I have started homeschooling this year and learn new things each day. This blog is a place for me to write out my thoughts, to express my joys, loves, my hopes, frustrations, disappointments, thing I read, things I am learning... I am writing about my life... a little of this and that...

18 May 2011

Heat vs. Air and Banana Bread

Last week the temperatures were in the 90’s.  I was doing my best, trying to tolerate the early heat wave.  I really don’t like having to turn my air on any sooner than I have to, especially during the month of May.  I kept thinking- “If I can just hold out until June…”  Well- the past few days it has been COLD!  I really, really don’t like the cold.  I have told Jon I wouldn’t be able to live anywhere north of Atlanta because I wouldn’t be able to survive the winter…  Today I woke up and the house was 55 degrees-  I turned on the heat!  In May!  I was freezing!!!

Last night I made Banana Bread.  Jon’s favorite- his mothers recipe!

HPIM1291HPIM1292HPIM1294HPIM1296

Jon’s Banana Bread

4 ripe bananas, mushed

3/4 cup softened butter

1 1/2 cup white sugar

2 eggs

2 cups self rising flour (I use 1 cup white flour and 1 cup whole wheat, it gives it a really great texture)

1 tsp. vanilla

1/4- 1/2 cup chopped pecans

1/2 tsp. salt

1/2 cup milk

Cream shortening, add sugar slowly.  Add bananas, eggs and vanilla. Add flour and salt while alternating with milk.  Add nuts.  Mix well. 

Grease and flour pan, heat oven to 325 degrees.  Bake 1- 1 1/2 hours.  Done when the middle rounds over and is a beautiful golden brown.

YUMMY!! 

I am about to bake another loaf.  This freezes well and is always good to share with friends and neighbors!

3 comments:

  1. MMMMMMm banana bread is always a good thing! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I'm not sure what I'm in love with more...
    Your banana bread or your cute pan to cook it in:)

    Your so sweet to share your family recipe;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! I love my mom's banana bread and I love making something special for my husband that his mom or grandma used to make for him. It gives me a warm feeling of loving him in his language and carrying on traditions that weren't mine, but are "ours" now!
    As for the weather - I love all four seasons! We used to live in San Diego (with the Navy) and he loved it, but it was so boring to me - no rain, no chilly days, no snow. Some days I just need to bundle up, drink tea, stay in my PJs, read a book and not do a thing (and not feel guilty about it)! I also grew up in the NE, so 4 seasons is "home" to me! If I ever need to escape the cold, I have family from Florida to Maine and California, so I am good to go! Enjoy the heat that I am sure you are feeling right now because it's 90 here and I'm north of you!

    ReplyDelete