About Me

My photo
I am a Christian, always reading, always wanting to improve my relationship with Christ, my family and my friends. I love the outdoors, animals and nature. I have started homeschooling this year and learn new things each day. This blog is a place for me to write out my thoughts, to express my joys, loves, my hopes, frustrations, disappointments, thing I read, things I am learning... I am writing about my life... a little of this and that...

16 May 2011

New books for school

These are most of the books I bought this year at the curriculum consignment sale.  A few of these I bought in the Vendor hall.  I bought a lot of these with the next few years in mind.  They are some that, hopefully, will last us for a couple of years.

HPIM1281

I was SO excited to see the Charlotte Mason Companion. I grabbed it up very quickly. Two cooking books, The Little House Cookbook and KidsCooking will provide a lot of fun cooking activities.  Teaching Children is a book that tells what children need to know by 6th grade and the Children’s skills test is a little computer activity that will help me figure out what Lily needs to focus more attention to.  The Nature Journal is one that we will probably use next year, but it was a great price I couldn’t pass it up!

HPIM1282

I am SUPER excited about History for Little Pilgrims.  It is biblically based and talks about history starting with creation.  I have heard great things about it.  I got a GREAT deal on both the book and the teachers manual. 

HPIM1283

There are A LOT of great finds in this pile.  I have heard wonderful things about the Draw-Write-Now book series.  I was excited to find one about farm animals.  We did math with M&Ms this past year, I didn’t know there was an actual M&M math book, so I was tickled to find this.  Lily is excited too!!  I got a Picture Story book that allows her to draw a picture and then write a little about it.  She will also do this with the Nature Log, but it will be just for nature.  She is very interested in her body and how it works so I got the human body book, as well as another dinosaur book, a pocket size book on mammals and a cut and paste book to work on fine motor skills.

HPIM1284

Health and safety books, another book on animals and another nature study book.  The Read-along anthology book has a lot of the common stories but also a lot of songs in the back.  I also found 3 writing dictionaries for her to work on writing her words.

HPIM1285

A few games-  Some Body is a game about the body, obviously.  I am hoping she will learn how her body works, why we eat healthy and exercise, etc.  The wildlife cards have really neat facts on the back, 2-3 facts for different age levels.  I found an addition and subtraction game, a balance game and unit cubes for measuring.

HPIM1288

These are for me!  YAY!!  I have loved Night Light so much that when I saw Night Light for Parents I grabbed it and didn’t even think twice.  I am excited to work through this book with Jon.  I am also excited about the Fun with the Family book.  It lists all kinds of great activities for our family here in Ga.  I have already found 3 I am anxious to go do! And of course-  a book on organizing my home.  I don’t really know if I need another book on this, but for 50 cents I couldn’t pass it up!

HPIM1287

I bought so many books I had to get a new book shelf.  I found this cabinet for $5.00 at a yard sale and took very little time getting it full of our school books!  We have also stuck her sight words on the outside so she can read and learn them.  I have a lot more so we will change them out regularly.

HPIM1280

I am so excited about all the books, we are going to have a lot of fun this summer and the rest of the year learning!  YAY!!!

3 comments:

  1. Great books you got! Should be an exciting year!
    Have a great afternoon!

    Blessings,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of M&M math--how fun is that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!! What great buys!!!CM Home companion is wonderful a must have!

    Carissa

    ReplyDelete