James 1:2-4 (The Message)
“Consider it a sheer gift, friends, when tests and challenges come at you from all sides. You know that under pressure, your faith-life is forced into the open and shows its true colors. So don't try to get out of anything prematurely. Let it do its work so you become mature and well-developed, not deficient in any way.”
I read this scripture this evening at the end of one of my favorite books. (Sisterchicks by Robin Jones Gunn) It made me think about how I rush about during the day. I rush to get chores done, I rush to make meals, I even rush my daughter when we are going somewhere. “Hustle, Hustle… Lets get going” while in the back of my mind I am thinking “She is only 3”. My younger sister would tell me “Patience is a virtue” to which I would reply “I have no virtues” then finish rushing around. I am always in a rush to do something, get somewhere. I don’t like being late. A Drill Sergeant said to me once “If you are on time you are late”… In Army terms- show up 15 minutes early and you are on time. I like that, I like being early. But I also know that I need to stop and smell the gardenias (which I can smell right now, oh what a wonderful scent!!)
I feel as though I am playing catch-up. So much of my time lately has been wasted on unimportant things. I spent too much time on the phone with friends when I should have been spending time with Lily, or taking care of my home. I, now, feel like I have to do double duty on cleaning to catch up, I have to spend extra time with my daughter to make up for all the time I hadn’t spent with her.
There are so many ‘tests’ that come my way. I am in the midst of two and I am not sure how I am doing with them. Am I passing or do I need to study more- I know I need to study more, but am I doing ok with these tests? Am I making Him proud with how I am handling them? What can I do better for everyone involved? There are so many times in my life I don’t want to wait and see what God has in store for me. I want things to happen on my time table, I want to be in control of the situation. (I will admit, openly, that I am impatient and like to be in control, most of the time). I have always tried to take care of things on my own. I am learning to go to him first instead of friends or family. “Trust in Him”, right!! It is hard to go to him first when you really want a verbal opinion, something you can hear instantly. When you really need that comforting hug, you call a friend first. How can God hug me when I am hurting?? But He does hug us, doesn’t he?
This verse says to me- Sit back, look at your situation, the challenges and learn to be content in it. Learn to rely on God, learn to allow Him to work in ways we cannot. We will come out of the situation a more mature individual and Christian.
This is one to tape to the bathroom mirror!! This is one to read and memorize and really keep close to the heart- for me anyway!
These are my thoughts and a lot of rambling… My train of thought derailed, huh :)
Kristina

oh don't we all...rush rush rush. and what is that thing you call..."patience" I hardly know what that word means, let along try to have a little...
ReplyDeleteGreat thoughts!
ahh, Amanda- your comments always make me smile, todays even came with a chuckle :)
ReplyDelete