My youngest sister is getting married… The last of us four girls. I have been able to go shopping with her and our mom the past two days for wedding dresses, flowers, invitations etc… WOW- I remember there being a lot of details to the planning, but I don’t remember being this busy with it.
All this wedding planning makes me think of my wedding. All the details (we had a child themed wedding- Kim Anderson). I found some of our vows. It is neat to read them again, remembering why we wanted things written a certain way, what we promised of each other for our lives together.
“I love you and on this day I wed you. I will stand by your side, in sickness and health, in joy and in sorrow. I will be faithful to you, honest with you, I will respect you. I promise to comfort and support you, to laugh and cry with you, to grow with you in mind and spirit. This day before family and friends, I pledge myself to you, promising to love you and cherish our moments together, for now and forever.”
How often do we think about what was said in our vows, at our wedding? How often do we follow through with our promises? “To be honest, to respect, to grow together”?? I am learning every day new ways to love my guy, new ways to look at him the way God does… And I’ll tell you this- you ask God to help you see your man through his eyes and you will wake up and see a different man. A man that amazes you, radiates love for you and your family. One that is awesome in all ways, even those quirky little things they do that usually makes you irritated :) And just think- he is all yours :)
“May the Lord bless you with hope enough to keep the dawn in your love, and fear enough to keep you holding hands in the dark. Unity enough to keep your roots entwined and separated enough to keep you reaching out for each other. Harmony enough to keep romance in your song and discord enough to keep you tuning your love.”
This was the closing prayer/blessing at our wedding. I like how it tells us to stay close, but individual enough to want the other to complete us, how it encourages us to appreciate what we have, but always strive to make it better!
Anyway- just a few thoughts going through my mind lately :)

soooo many times couples walk away from the wedding day and leave all vows at the alter...I was at that point once in my life...but God is good and has a much better plan for our lives than we could EVER imagine.
ReplyDeleteIn a godly marriage should come commitment with that love and I am afraid that we are failing badly today in this day in age of "liberation" and lack of commitment.
Great post!
I have been to the same place, Amanda. I printed up our vows and now have them sitting on our dresser. Sometimes I need that visual reminder of what we promised each other.
ReplyDelete