I am counting my blessings today :) I apologize for last nights post. I am not sure what happened, what came over me, but I just could not stand tall last night.
I awoke this morning to a phone call from Jon- "Get up and get a bucket of warm soapy water. I need you in the upper field!" Lovey was in labor and from the sound of his voice, things were not good. She was the last of the cows to deliver this spring. By the time I got myself and Lily ready and made it to the upper field my grandparents, Mom and sister were already there. Pa and Jon had Lovey hooked up to a chain, getting ready to pull the calf, the calf was stuck. After a few pulls the calf was delivered. It was a little bull. He did not survive the delivery. Jon suspects that he died during the early morning hours. Lovey looked like she had been laying in the same spot for quite a while. She is still in the same spot. She is, hopefully just temporarily, paralized from the pressure the calf put on her nerves. She cannot stand or move much. She is drinking water and we have a canopy over her to provide shade. We are getting interesting looks from people driving down the road...
Blessing: Jon was actually home this morning. His EMT training kicked in and he was able to help her, medically, as best he could. Pa has experience with pulling calfs, so he came prepared, ready and willing to help in any way he could. Kasey was not at work so she was able to keep an eye on Lily while we took care of Lovey and the calf.
Other blessings today: We are all healthy. We are all together. My family lives close by. I have wonderful 'bloggy' friends. I cannot tell you how much your words meant to me this morning!! (blessing)- its seems as though Jon has been listening to me more than I thought, and is learning something from Jono (our pastor) and the Night Light book (thanks for the suggestion Amanda)- before his interview and before I headed out to put in applications he asked if we could pray- I never thought I would hear him say something like that! Made my heart happy :)
Blessings: We both heard positive things from his interview and my applications. Nothing that says "JOB" but plenty of reassuring words. Our house is still standing (at this moment), no leaks, no squeaks, although there is a mouse :)
I feel lot better this morning. I feel I can stand tall, well as tall as I can get anyway :), I feel like we will be ok. Jon and I joke that we are stuck with each other for the rest of our lives. We are serious, though... We are still learning to live with each other, good or bad, rich or poor... One day at a time, we learn more about each other, and learn more on how to compromise, how to share ourselves, how to work together and how to love...
This is going to be a good week, despite the rough start last night!

YAY!! I knew something good will happen :) sorry to hear about lovey :( miss yall
ReplyDeleteI'm glad to hear that things are looking up. I hope today is a great day too. I had tears in my eyes reading about the calf and Lovey. We want to be homesteaders (that is our dream) but I may have to toughen up a bit!
ReplyDeleteIt's in those times when we allow God to flood our hearts and minds with positive things, blessings if you will...that we can look at life more abundant and free. Just keep your head and chin up, because you are growing in HIM.
ReplyDeleteSorry about your little calf...