About Me

My photo
I am a Christian, always reading, always wanting to improve my relationship with Christ, my family and my friends. I love the outdoors, animals and nature. I have started homeschooling this year and learn new things each day. This blog is a place for me to write out my thoughts, to express my joys, loves, my hopes, frustrations, disappointments, thing I read, things I am learning... I am writing about my life... a little of this and that...

26 April 2010

homeschool advice, please

ok my dear blogging family- I will be attending the homeschool conference this weekend. It is my first conference for homeschooling (in a VERY long time, anyway). My daughter will be 4 in June so I am looking for pre-k/kindergarten info and ideas.
My homeschool background is a bit odd, I guess. I went to a public school through 7th grade, homeschooled 8-10 grade, then back to public school 11 and 12th grades. I am very much a 'people person'... I like being around people, alot. So for me, at the time, I didnt like being homeschooled. But I do know my parents did what they knew would be best for myself and sisters. And for that I am impressed at the strenght it took my mom to deal with a teenager, stuck at home.. sorry for all the attitude, mama :)
I have the support of my husband, mom and dad, sisters, and grandparents- LOTS of support. I know my mom is a fountain of information and I plan to pick her brain and maybe even get a bit of "teacher help"...
I guess my question is what type of curriculum do you use? Any suggestions on how to teach a 4 year old?

4 comments:

  1. I added your blog to my sidebar to hopefully give you a few responses. I am fairly new at this myself. I think the best advice I can give is to just make it fun. Don't worry about using a "curriculum" per say so much just yet. I mean you could, but this is such an important time of having fun with learning that just focusing on colors, shapes and fun stuff. I made the mistake with my son in starting a homeschool curriculum too early (around age 3-4) and teaching him to read and it only stressed him out. Just keep it simple and fun. This year should be about exloring nature together and having fun. Adriane is a great resource for this because her TOT school looks like fun. We are getting ready to start My Fathers World with my son (1st grade) you can click the link to my sidebar to read more about this. I would recommend just going to the conference and looking...without thinking of buying anything. they are so young and learning should be play and fun...in my opinion.these are the most fun times that if we are not careful we can make them dread school!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Amanda- We are starting a 'nature book' next week. Im hoping to take photos of things we see outside, then let her write what it is, ie: flower, nest, leaf.... etc, to work on her writing skills, and put it in a 4x6 photo album... I will check out Adrianes blog, too, I am always open to new ideas...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi firefly! Amanda told me that you posted this so I came to see if I could give some advice. I have taught 2 four year olds and I will be teaching another one next year too! I've been doing school with her this past year and really, I just try to keep it fun. Next year, I plan on using Before Five in a Row because I like a literature approach. I get many ideas from this site: http://delightfullearning.com/ She uses literature and activities which I love! She is using Before Five in a Row too. If you like a more traditional approach, Abeka is good too. It is very thorough. I have not used it for preschool but for first grade. It is advanced and like I said very thorough but not as much fun (in my opinion). Here are some sites that use Abeka and they have added activities to make it fun: http://confessionsofahomeschooler.blogspot.com/
    http://lovemylifex4.blogspot.com/
    Both of those sites have some great ideas and printables to use especially with the younger ones.
    I also recently found this free curriculum online. I've bookmarked it to check out so I'm not sure if it looks good or not but it might give you some ideas.
    http://www.hubbardscupboard.org/pre-kindergarten.html
    I'm in the middle of figuring out our school year for the next school year. I will probably post about what we will do when I figure it out! I hope this helps you! :) Adriane

    ReplyDelete
  4. These ladies have given you some great advise. I love all the great ideas on Adrian's blog and I think you will find many great ideas there to incorporate into your homeschool.
    Having homeschooled for the past twenty years I have used many different approaches. Back when I first started I was so young, I had no clue what I was doing, and there were so few options. But the Lord has blessed me with another little one (she just turned four) and I am so excited about doing this adventure all over again. Over the last few years I have been researching the Charlotte Mason approach. (I HIGHLY recommend reading A Charlotte Mason Approach by Karen Andreola) It is not a curriculum but an approach. And there are many curriculums out there that are geared to this approach, My Father's World being one of them. This is what I plan to use with Hope. Of course I will add to it with lapbooks and other activities. My advise to you is to view homeschooling as a lifestyle of learning not as school at home. Learning happens throughout the day and cannot be confined to specific hours sitting at a desk. Learning happens as we explore nature and research what we have found, when we cook a meal together, clean the house, serve others, sit under a tree reading an interesting book. The list can go on and on but as you travel this journey together you will find that you both learn more in life than you can ever learn in a classroom. More importantly focus on teaching your little one to love the Lord and put Him first in her life. By doing this you will give her an education with eternal value that will last forever.

    ReplyDelete